ISO 9564-4:2016 provides requirements for the use of personal identification numbers (PIN) in eCommerce. The PINs in scope are the same cardholder PINs used as a means of cardholder verification in card-based financial transactions; notably, automated teller machine (ATM) systems, point-of-sale (POS) terminals, automated fuel dispensers, and vending machines.
It is applicable to financial card-originated transactions requiring verification of the PIN and to those organizations responsible for implementing techniques for the management of the PIN in eCommerce.
The provisions of this part of ISO 9564 are not intended to cover
- passwords, passcodes, pass phrases and other shared secrets used for customer authentication in online banking, telephone banking, digital wallets, mobile payment, etc.,
- management of cardholder PINs for use as a means of cardholder verification in retail banking systems in, notably, automated teller machine (ATM) systems, point-of-sale (POS) terminals, automated fuel dispensers, vending machines, banking kiosks and PIN selection/change systems, which are covered in ISO 9564‑1,
- card proxies such as mobile phones or key fobs,
- approved algorithms for PIN encipherment, which are covered in ISO 9564‑2,
- the protection of the PIN against loss or intentional misuse by the customer or authorized employees of the issuer,
- privacy of non-PIN transaction data,
- protection of transaction messages against alteration or substitution, e.g. an online authorization response,
- protection against replay of the transaction,
- functionality of devices used for PIN entry which is related to issuer functions other than PIN entry,
- specific key management techniques, and
- access to, and storage of, card data other than the PIN by applications such as wallets.
Status: PublishedPublication date: 2016-03
Edition: 1Number of pages: 14
Technical Committee: ISO/TC 68/SC 2 Financial Services, security
Buy this standard
|std 1 92|
|std 2 92||Paper|